Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Return to Florence

Here are a few images of Florence, where I returned on a rainy day, in order to see the spectacular San Marco, with monks' cells each containing a single image by Fra Angelico, and to go to the Accademia, where I was moved by Michelangelo's unfinished Slaves, intended for the tomb of Julius II (which now sits, with the artist's Moses, in San Pietro in Vincoli).  The David is also there at the Accademia and is indeed more impressive "live" but also completely mobbed with visitors like myself.  I also managed, in my ten hours in the city to also see the Casa Dante (a weak museum, but fascinating for the effort to reconstruct his house on facts made out of air), and the Bargello, a fantastic museum of Florentine painting and sculpture.



















No comments:

Post a Comment