Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Memorials in Berlin

I was in Berlin this past weekend (to meet with our partners at the Technical University of Berlin and one of my graduate students) and managed to revisit memorial I know well, and see some new ones.  The density of the effort to remember and warn (Vergiss es nie -- never forget) is stunning, especially in comparison to what I have found in Rome thus far.

More reflections to follow the photos.


Peter Eisenman's Holocaust Memorial. My take, from 2005.



The ludicrous project to rebuild the Berliner Schloss on Unter den Linden.



The Nueue Wache, once a guard house and then a shifting series of memorial purposes.  Now it is a general memorial to those who died in war.


Stolpersteine on Gross Hamburgerstrasse, in Prenzlauer Berg



A new memorial outside the Reichstag, remembering the 96 legislators killed by the Nazis.


A new memorial to the 500,000 Roma and Sinti who were killed in the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment